The Coppell Independent School District is a public school district based in Coppell, Texas. The district includes most of Coppell and small parts of Grapevine, Irving, Dallas and Lewisville. In 2009, the school district was rated “recognized” by the Texas Education Agency.
Job Title: Assistant Principal
Reports to: Campus Principal(s)
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Pay Schedule: 104 – Middle School Days: 211 – Middle School
105 – High School 216 – High School 226 – High School
• Assist the school principal in the overall administration of instructional programs and campus-level operations; coordinate assigned student activities and services.
• Master’s degree required
• Valid Texas Mid-management or other appropriate Texas certificate
• Valid Texas teaching certificate
• Certified Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System (T-TESS) appraiser
• Certified Texas Principal Evaluation and Support System (T-PESS) appraiser
• Certified Instructional Leadership Development (ILD) or Advancing Educational Leadership (AEL) training Special Knowledge/Skills
• Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of school operations
• Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement campus support operations • Working knowledge of curriculum and instruction
• Thorough understanding of educational law and current safety concerns related to the learning environment
• Strong organizational, communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills Experience
• Three years of experience as a classroom educator Major Duties And Responsibilities Instructional Leadership
• Collaborate with the curriculum department to support the district curriculum and assessment system.
• Utilize district aligned research-based strategies to support educators in lesson design and instructional practices designed to improve learner achievement.
• Actively participate in the development, supervision, and evaluation of educational and instructional programs.
• Support and train educators and staff to effectively analyze learner data in order to guide instructional decision-making and to ensure mastery of the curriculum.
• Collaborate with administrators and staff on the effective implementation of the RtI framework in order to make informed decisions concerning the academic and behavioural needs of learners.
• Promote the efficient and effective implementation of technology in the teaching/learning process.
• Assist campus principal, diagnostician, and appropriate staff members in relation to the facilitation of ARD meetings for learners served by special education services.
• Coordinate and facilitate 504 meetings and services through collaborative efforts with staff and parents.
• Conduct conferences on learner and school issues with parents, learners, and educators. Human Capital
• Actively seek out and participate in professional development opportunities to improve knowledge and skills related to the job assignment and share knowledge with staff.
• Actively participate and collaborate with campus educators in professional learning communities (PLCs) designed for schoolwide learning, improving instructional practices, and supporting learner achievement
• Coach and develop teachers and staff by giving individual feedback and aligned professional development opportunities.
• Utilize the Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support System tool to conduct walkthroughs and formal observations of educators (including pre-conference, observation, and post-conference).
• Assist principal in the interview, selection and hiring process, including orienting new staff members. Executive Leadership • Effectively communicate and collaborate with learners and educators.
• Utilize positive and proactive communication skills between all staff and learners and families, and for the purposes of solving problems and/or resolving conflicts.
• Demonstrate awareness of school and community needs and initiate activities to meet those needs.
• Use appropriate and effective techniques to build and maintain family and community relationships through parent and community involvement.
• Effectively implement interpersonal communication skills in a variety of roles including, but not limited to, building and maintaining positive relationships with learners, educators, and community members, leading instructional initiatives, providing and soliciting critical feedback, and facilitating conflict resolution. School Culture
• Help to develop a learner discipline management system that results in positive learner behaviour. • Ensure that campus rules are uniformly observed and learner discipline is appropriate and equitable.
• Promote and support a safe learning environment – physically, intellectually, and emotionally
• .Promote a culture of inclusiveness by actively demonstrating respect for diverse racial and cultural circumstances and experiences. Strategic Operations
• Supervise operations in the principal’s absence.
• Assist in planning daily school activities by participating in the development of class schedules, educator assignments, and extracurricular activity schedules.
• Collaborate with department heads, faculty, and campus principal to compile annual budget requests based on documented program needs. • Requisition supplies, textbooks, and equipment; check inventory; maintain records; and verify receipts for materials. • Assist with safety inspections and all safety drill practice activities.
• Coordinate transportation, custodial, cafeteria, and other support services.
• Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rules, and board policy.
• Ensure that learners are adequately supervised during non-instructional periods.
• Monitor learner attendance; report and facilitate attendance investigations.
• Articulate the school’s mission to all stakeholders, including the community, and solicit their support in realizing the mission.
• Actively participate in the development of campus improvement plans with staff, parents, and community members.
• Support principal in the development, maintenance, and use of information systems to maintain records to track progress on-campus performance objectives and academic excellence indicators. Supervisory Responsibilities
• Share supervisory responsibility for professional staff with school principal. Supervise educators, paraprofessionals, clerical staff members, and others as assigned. Equipment Working Conditions: Computer, two way radio, copier, fax machine, various technical equipment Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
• Maintain emotional control under stress.
• Work with frequent interruptions.
• Occasional district-wide travel.
• Occasional prolonged and irregular hours